This is an extremely busy time of year and I am usually looking for easy recipes that I can use for a couple of different dishes. This Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl can be a weekly staple on your dinner table.
This recipe uses chicken breasts, tomatoes, beans, and corn along with seasonings to create a very versatile chicken dish for salads, bowls, casseroles, and even tacos. It is a “throw-it-all-in” and let it cook recipe which is a big hit at my house. I use my slow cooker at least twice a week.
Ways to use Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Serve this over rice for a classic bowl. Top with cheese, sour cream and salsa.
- Serve over salad greens for a low-carb meal.
- For a throw-back to the 80’s casserole years, layer a sprayed baking pan with Fritos corn chips. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over the chips. Top with cheese and bake 20 minutes on 350*. Thank me later.
- Spoon over taco hard shells or roll up in soft taco shells.
Ways to adapt this dish to fit specific meal plans.
The chicken, garlic, onions, spices, tomatoes, and broth fit easily into Paleo, Keto, and Whole 30 plans.
Omit the beans and corn to fit all 3 plans. Some people omit tomatoes on Whole 30 due to high natural sugar content.
For Keto users, feel free to top this dish with cheese and sour cream. Dairy is not included in Paleo or Whole 30.
As directed, this dish is completely gluten-free. Check your labels on your seasoning blends if you prefer to use a McCormick-type seasoning envelope. Many of these seasoning packets are NOT gluten-free.
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can light red kidney beans
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, paprika, and salt in the crock pot.
- Lay chicken breasts on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice, or make a spicy chicken salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 52g