I had no idea how this was going to work. I’ve always made my family recipe with the red box of refrigerated pie crust. That is out of the question now so I made my own crust. This is a challenge in 2 ways: Making my own crust and making it from a gluten-free mix that I have no idea the quality.
It was really easy, though!
After you mix the oil and water (according to the directions on the bag) to get a sticky crust base, you simply form it in the pie pan.
The pie filling:
- 1.5 cups of chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of dark Karo syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Place pecans in an unbaked pie crust.
2. In a mixer, mix the sugar, Karo, and butter.
3. Slowly add eggs and mix completely. Add vanilla at the end.
4. Pour over pecans.
5. Bake at 350* for 15 min. Then reduce heat to 300* for 25 minutes. Pie is done when the center shakes a little but the outer part is firm and a crust has formed over the pie.
The crust was GREAT! I need to work on my pie crust shaping skills because it got thick in some places, but the actual taste and consistency was great. The edges aren’t beautiful, but they were flaky and I was worried about it being too doughy. I’ll try again at Christmas!