Down here, when the temperatures dip below 90*, we think fall sweaters and hot cocoa are just around the corner so it must be time to turn the ovens back on. During the humidity of June-August, I rarely turn on the oven. But I have missed hot roasted meals and vegetables. I’m also enjoying as much comfort foods as I can find. Cooking Light had the right idea with this Cottage Pie that combines meat, vegetables, and mashed potatoes. It doesn’t get much more comfortable than that!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour and butter; stir well.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove vegetables from skillet. Add beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in tomato paste, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in broth and pepper. Return vegetables to pan, and bring to a simmer. Stir in parsley, thyme, and salt. Add flour mixture, and cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Spoon meat mixture into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray, spreading evenly. Combine the potatoes and half of cheese; spread the potato mixture evenly over meat mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.